What do I do if I smell gas or there is a gas leak?
If you smell gas:
- Turn off the gas meter by turning the valve at right angles to the gas pipe
- Open all windows and doors and keep them open until the leak is repaired
- Don’t smoke or use electrical switches, matches or naked flames
- Call the National Grid Emergency Line 0800 111 999
- Make sure someone’s at home when the emergency engineer arrives
- Call the Fire Service on 999 if fire breaks out
What do I do if I have an electricity power cut?
If you have a prepayment meter, first check that you have sufficient credit on the meter. Otherwise, if your property has a power loss, in the first instance check your fuse box:
- If the trip switch is in the ‘off’ position, try switching it back on. If it won’t stay on, you have a fault with your wiring, an appliance or the fuse box. Try switching off appliances that are using an electricity supply one by one until you identify the cause of the problem. If you still don’t have power, you may need to call an electrician.
- If the trip switch is in the ‘on’ position, try turning it off and back on again. This safety feature may have been triggered without the switch physically moving and this may reset it.
- If the supply isn’t restored, push the ‘test’ button. If the switch trips, you’ve probably got a problem with your wiring or an appliance. This is because the ‘push to test’ button can only trip the switch if your local network operator’s supply is healthy. The trip will now be in the ‘off’ position.
- If the trip switch is on and the ‘push to test’ button does not trip the switch, then there is no electricity coming into the property.
If you’ve completed the above checks and you think that there’s not an issue with the fuse box, you should contact your local electrical network distributor. You can find out who distributes the electricity in your area by using this postcode checker.
If your local network distributor has confirmed that there aren’t any supply issues in your area, you should next check your meter for any error messages. If any error messages are present, contact us with the code and we can advise how to proceed.